Tuesday, May 17, 2016

A Whole 30 Wrap Up

While we have totally stopped doing Whole 30 we have not stopped thinking about what is healthy and what is not. While on the Whole 30 I started to wonder if this is just another fad diet. The founders of the Whole 30 stand up and scream at the top of their lungs that this is not a fad diet. Because, they say, it has been around since 2009 and that would be a long fad. 


fad
fad/
noun
  1. an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze.


I can tell you the people who are Whole 30 followers are intensely enthusiastic and very biased in their opinions. And they don't like it when someone disagrees with them. I know! Because I have disagreed with them a few times. And they are very quick to pounce and say I must not have followed the plan like I should have. Whatever! I know what is good for us and what is not. I know when I see a craze. And the further I got into this plan the more I decided it was simply that. Crazy. I don't want to eliminate all dairy from our diet. We like cheese. The kids like milk. I know when it bothers me and I know when it doesn't. I am adult enough to figure this out. I think the people of Whole 30 (like the creators) tend to expect people to follow the plan exactly how they outlined it and have a way of making you feel stupid if you don't. 

"This program is famous for its tough-love approach. The most quoted line of Whole30 is this: “It is not hard. Don’t you dare tell us this is hard. Quitting heroin is hard. Beating cancer is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard. You won’t get any coddling, and you won’t get any sympathy for your 'struggles.'"

These are the kinds of words  I find hard to take. Another problem I had was knowing  I was going to feel like crap for the first couple of weeks. What??? That seems to go against everything I have been taught as an RN. We are supposed to feel good when we are eating good. Right??

I think I can continue on my quest to eat clean without becoming obsessive about food. I think diet plans, like Whole 30, can be bad for those who have food obsessions. I would hate to see this program in the hands of a bulimic or an anorexic. You are forced to think non-stop, about food, for weeks at a time. That is a big part of the problem I had with this program. I want to eat when I am hungry, stop when I am full, and not think about it all the time. You CANNOT do that with Whole 30. Plus I am not convinced that eating all that meat is really that good for you. So there!

So after being off the Whole 30 for one full week this is what I know for sure:

1) Eating like this is EXPENSIVE!

2) The kids quickly got bored and wanted to eat like their friends: ie: pizza, burgers, etc.

3) I spent way too much time thinking and talking about food.

4) I want to eat healthy!

So I plan to cook more and eat less processed foods. I will be shopping the perimeter of the grocery store and avoid the inner aisles where all the bad stuff lives. But, I am going to have fruit and French Vanilla Coffee Creamer. And I am going to be happy with my choices!! And I am not going to spend another minute feeling guilty.

Stay turned for our continued adventure in good, clean eating!

4 comments:

  1. I can understand not feeling well the first few days of starting a new eating program, but not for weeks. Something is wrong with the program if it doesn't adapt to your body quicker than that. Extreme eating programs like this are good but do cause burnout I think. I agree; walking the perimeter of the grocery store is a good thing and there are lots of healthy things there, fruits, veggies, meat, cheese, etc. We get in trouble when we go down the snack aisles (at least I do :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is when I get in trouble too, Betty. Especially potato chips. Salty snacks are my downfall!

      Delete
  2. Hi Paula, I completed the Whole30 at the end of April, and for the most part, I felt great! You're right, it takes a lot of effort to stick to the program, and it's not cheap. But I do feel better sticking with whole foods. The thing I like about this is that it's meant to eliminate all the possible 'problem' foods from one's diet. Then slowly, add each back in and hopefully determine if there's an issue with any of them. Then avoid those. I would never avoid ALL those foods long term unless they were bothering me. I know that if I eat wheat or too much sugar, I tend to feel achey and I get digestive issues. And eating way more veggies made me feel great. I have enjoyed some dark chocolate and a bit of icecream since being off the strict program and I hope to keep on limiting my sugar intake and upping my veggie intake. I missed my granola and yogurt. Those are back big time! ;) All the best on your continued adventure in clean eating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would have been more encouraged to stay the course if I had been feeling all those benefits that everyone talks about. But, both my granddaughter and myself, felt so tired and sluggish. I may do it again. But I might just try to eat clean and not deprive ourselves of things we really like!!

      Delete